Friends of the Carillon
⦁ Promoting the history of the memorial and its place in the Bathurst Town Square
⦁ Supporting the training of local carillonists
⦁ Facilitating the playing of the Carillon for commemoration, celebration and entertainment
A carillon is a large musical instrument that produces sound by striking a set of chromatically tuned bronze bells. It shares the characteristics of a piano by allowing the player to express dynamic variation through touch, and shares the characteristics of an organ by providing foot pedals to operate the lower (and heavier) bells.
Bathurst War Memorial Carillon has 47 bells. The original 35 bells were cast in 1928 and an additional 24 bells were cast in 2018, including 12 Peace Bells. All bells were cast by John Taylor & Co., Bell Founders and Bell Hangers of Loughborough, England. Some of the original bells were replaced and retained by Council for future display.
The largest bell is inscribed:
“Thus Bathurst and her surrounding villages honour their men of 1914-1918. “Lest We Forget.”
The second largest bell is inscribed:
“To the ever glorious memory of our fallen comrades. Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends”.
The third largest bell carries the Red Cross Emblem in honour of the War Nurses.
The top tier bells are named after nearby villages and localities, this tier also has six Peace Bells:
Tarana, Wattle Flat, Burraga, Sunny Corner, Bathurst, Wimbledon, Evans Plans, Limekilns and Caloola.
The second tier bells are named after nearby villages and localities, this tier also has six Peace Bells:
Dunkeld, Sofala, Cow Flat, Turondale, Hill End & Tambaroora, White Rock, Yetholme, Locksley, Vittoria and Black Springs.
The third tier bells are named after more locations in the Bathurst region:
Eglinton, Glanmire, Perthville, Lagoon, Duramana, Raglan, Peel, O’Connell, Georges Plains and Orton Park.
The bottom tier bells (which includes the largest three Bells mentioned above) are named:
Rockley, Kelso and Brewongle.